Saturday, December 11, 2010

Reunited in Paradise

The hubby is here! I am so happy to be here and see Sarah again. The last 24 hours have been quite eventful as I adapt to the culture of my new home. The flight in yesterday was great, there were probably 10 people on my connecting flight from Philly to Bermuda so I had plenty of leg room. Got a great view of the island from the plane. If you fly into the island, try to get a window seat on the right side of the plane, trust me. Landed, got through customs and hopped in the nicest cab I've ever been in. This was also my first experience driving on the left side of the road so that is taking some getting used too. The roads are very narrow, so much so that the cab driver clipped his car on a rock wall driving to the house!!! Apparently that happens a lot as he nonchalantly told me about the multiple rear view mirrors he has had to replace as people in scooters constantly zipped around us. Sarah met me at the house and it took me a few hours to get unpacked and settled in. Since we live very close to the city we walked downtown for my first taste of the nightlife. The city is beautiful!!! We went to a place called Fresco's where we ran into some women that Sarah works with. I told them about how cold it was in VA at 20 degrees and they gave me a funny look. Silly metric system. After doing the conversion in my head and explaining that I actually meant it was -7 degrees CELCIUS I realized I ain't in 'merica anymore!! Then we went to a place called the Pickled Onion which is the known as the "expat" bar. Since I had gotten up at 4am, we didn't stay out too late but I look forward to spending time in the local scene. Bermuda is famous for a drink called the Dark n Stormy, which is the local Gosling's rum with Ginger Beer. It's pretty good. Ginger Beer by itself is NOT good at all!!



Today we went to the Navy Dockyard which is on the northern most part of the western side of the island. We took the ferry over there and the scenery was beautiful despite it being a little overcast.






The dockyard is where the cruise ships dock so there was a lot of tourity type places and a lot of art galleries. The dockyard was the principal base of the Royal Navy in the Western Atlantic between American independence and the Cold War. Bermuda had occupied a useful position astride the homeward leg taken by many European vessels from the New World since before its settlement by England in 1609.

We checked out everything except the Maritime Museum which we will do with company. We also went to a place called the Frog and Onion which was very cool. And they have 50 ounce beers where you get to keep the glass. Will have to come back and check that out!!






There were also a lot of very cool old boats. And just like Key West there were wild chickens running around all over the place. It started to rain when we were leaving but luckily stopped long enough for us to go to the grocery store and walk home before it started again. Perfect timing. Will post again soon!!


Nick

1 comment:

  1. driving on the other side of the road- still not use to it after 4 months. Also quick trick I have picked up on converting f to celius- double the celcuis number and add 30 or vise versa for the opposite

    ReplyDelete